Saturday, February 2, 2013

Cathedral Motif - Granny Square Crochet - Free Pattern

I recently pinned the lovely Cathedral Motif Granny Square to my Crochet Pinboard and akaCinders a fellow crafter mentioned the post was in Russian... and well, she doesn't read Russian. With the idea in mind to help other American or English reading crafters ;) put this pattern to work for them, I looked at the sites chart and translated it into English crochet directions.

Please let me know if you have any questions as you work this up, I have done my best to explain the steps as you go. In time I may add step by step pictures but in an effort to get this ball rolling for others who want it here you go :).

Cathedral Motif - Granny Square

Trivet layout :) 



Worked with H Hook holding 2 threads through out

Worked with H hook holding one thred through out.
Special Stitch:

Bobble Stitch: YOH (yarn over hook), insert insert hook into
next stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops,
*YOH, insert hook into next stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH,
pull through 2 loops, repeat once from*, YOH, pull through all 4 loops on hook.

What I used:

- Worsted Weight Cotton -

Brown/Tan motifs were made holding one thread - H hook was used I suggest using a smaller hook when       using only one worsted weight thread
Green/White motifs were made holding two threads together - H hook was used

- Size H Hook 8.5MM

Starting with Brown or Green (or whatever color you want :))

Row 1:  Chain 7, slst in 1st chain (making a ring)

Row 2:  *Chain 3, dc 3, ch 3, sc 1*(all into the center) repeat 3 more times around, SlSt 3 in the first Chain 3 of the row.

Row 3:  *Chain 3, Bobble Stitch (BS), chain 3, scin top of ch 3 from prior row, chain 2, sc in top of next chain 3* repeat 3 more times around. FO

Change yarn color to light tan or White (or whatever color you like :))

Row 4:  Chain 1 in any of the chain 2 sections from prior row, Dc 1 into center *Chain 4, Slst in top of BS, chain 4, Dc 1 into center, chain 2, Dc 1 into center* repeat 2 more times, chain 4 Slst in top of BS, chain 4, Dc 1 into center, chain 2, slst in top of 1st chain.

Row 5: *Sc 2 in chain 4 of previous row, skip one, Sc 2 in next chain 4,  Dc 4 in chain 2 Chain 3, Dc 4 in same chain 2 * repeat 4 times, slst in 1st sc of row, Fasten Off.

My single thread squares measure 3 inches square and the double threaded squares are 3 1/4 inch square.

Make 4 (or however many you like :)), stitch squares together in whatever pattern you like and add your own embellishing edge! :)

Enjoy! :) ♥ Dawn

19 comments:

  1. Thanks Dawn. So excited to try this. I love the cathedral glass look with a variety of brights instead of the brown and any color surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe - you bet! :D I grew up Catholic so stained glass windows and me get along just fine ;)- they are so pretty! :D I look forward to the ones you work up! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I just found my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to start this. But what does the FO stand for?
    sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie! thank you for stopping by! :) FO stands for Fasten Off. I added it in long hand now. Thank you! :) Enjoy! ♥ Dawn

      Delete
  4. Did I miss how many skeins? Maybe a ratio of dark to light? And how many squares (of the dark color) can be made per skein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ddflip - You didn't miss anything! :) I leave all the creative rights to the creators on this one. This post was simply english directions on how to make a cathedral motif. Enjoy! ~Dawn

      Delete
  5. What size square does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, Thank you for asking! The single thread squares measure 3 inches square and the double threaded squares are 3 1/4 inch square. Enjoy! ~Dawn

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful! Added to my mountain of to-do's. Thank you, Dawn. ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! You are too kind! :) Glad to hear the design made your list! Thank you for commenting! :D Happy crocheting!

      Delete
  7. thank you thank you, ....
    i was trying to find written instruction cause donot know understand chart
    God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello vidu again can you please give step by step tutorial for this motif? i tried it but not able to do and there is no person whom i can ask
    Please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi vidu - I'm not sure if there's anyone you can ask, are you on ravelry? Or any crochet group forum? Others may have pointers on how to work this up. I have a laundry list of projects at the moment and I plan to get back to trying video tutorials but it will most likely still be a bit yet. That's probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it helps some!

      Delete
    2. I wish that as well and if possible a diagram
      I would be so gratefull.

      Delete
    3. I wish that as well and if possible a diagram
      I would be so gratefull.

      Delete
  9. please i will wait as i do not live where i can ask anyone
    I totally depend upon internet to learn so will wait
    i tried on ravelry (user name craftyulvi) recently but they do not tell so much in detail

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...