Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Ham Casserole Recipe - Low Carb

You might have already noticed based on prior recipe postings that I like cheese. :) Well I like cheese, but the mister LOVES cheese. It's a staple in our house really :).

I bought a ham a bit ago and though it'd been staring me in the face every time I'd open the fridge I didn't have time or gumption to create much, in the recipe arena anyways. :)

Tonight was the night... the date stamped on the ham said to use or freeze by 3/4/13. I made it just in time! :)

I had a plethora of cauliflower, cheese and ham... the rest is history. 

Yes... that is a string of delicious cheese in the lower right corner of the photo... you are welcome ;).
 Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Ham Casserole - Low Carb

Ingredients:
2 bags (16 oz each) frozen cauliflower
2 cups of ham, diced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
3 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed cheese (any kind you want! :))
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F

Apply bacon grease or butter to a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.

In a medium large pot empty both bags of cauliflower. Add water to the pot to cover all the florets. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 8 - 10 minutes.

Drain the cauliflower and return it to the pot, take a potato masher and mash the cauliflower up a bit to a texture you like. Transfer cauliflower mash to pan. Add ham chunks to the top and set aside.



In a medium large pan put the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until everything is mixed and  the cheese is slightly melted. Pour the mixture over top the cauliflower and ham.


Spread the mixture out evenly then add the cheese cubes.


Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy! :)

The mister liked the finished product which made it blog worthy ;) Hope you and yours like it if you try it! :) I know I'll definitely be making it again :).


*****

Looking for more Low Carb casserole recipes? 
Since posting this recipe I've started a foodie blog! 

Find more low carb CASSEROLE RECIPES HERE.


***** 

15 comments:

  1. looks delicious! I should try it out sometime :)

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! :) It was a hit at home so we will be making this a staple. :) The mister doesn't normally like veggies so I'm thankful I was able to make them edible for him ;).

      Delete
  2. Made this tonight...Of course I changed a bit (normal for me) I added some sauteed onion, upped the garlic to a teaspoon added some salt, and used regular dijon mustard as I do low carb and do not use honey. It was great but................WOW did I ever have a mess in my oven. This for my dish was too much cream so I had to take the dish out of the oven and drain off quite a bit. Once I had enough off I stirred the dish and topped it with a bit more cheese and stuck it back in the oven! My family loved it and my daughter was shocked it wasn't potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SkeeterN!

      So glad to hear your family liked the dish! Any mustard used with this dish I think would be pretty tasty! ;) I'm bummed to hear it made a mess of your oven but it sounds like you persevered and it paid off! :) My mister didn't taste the cauliflower in the dish which made this a win an worth sharing! :) Glad to hear your kids got more of their veggies in! ;)

      Happy Cooking! :)
      ~Dawn

      Delete
  3. This was a huge hit with my family-even my husband who is super picky-especially about veggies. I didn't tell him it was cauliflower until after he took the first bite. He immediately went on about how good it was and that's when I let him in on the secret. He was pleasantly surprised! I also made one to take to a friend who had surgery and I'm making it again tonight for my family. Two thumbs up here! :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber! Great to hear it was a hit with the family and the mister! :) I understand the plight of having a picky eater for a husband! I'm always looking for a recipe that's healthy *and* tast.! Of course anytime we can throw some veggies in under the radar of their taste buds is a win! ;) Glad to hear you are spreading the deliciousness! :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Do you know how many carbs?? Thos looks delict!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I make a point not to add Nutrition Information as I know ingredients differ from brand to brand. I always choose high fat options that are minimally processed. I know that's not a very specific answer but I hope it helps! Enjoy and thank you for commenting! ~Dawn

      Delete
  5. Hello! I was just wondering how you think this would turn out using 2% milk instead of cream. I wanted to make this today, but I don't have any cream on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Using 2% milk should be fine. I suggest straining the cauliflower really well since it holds a lot of moisture and only use 1 cup of milk instead of the cup and a half, so it doesn't get soupy on you. :) Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Dawn! I used your suggestion and it turned out amazing! :)

      Delete
    3. YAY! :D Wonderful! I'm so glad to hear you liked it Beth! :) Thank you for sharing! Best, Dawn

      Delete
  6. would this be ok without the ham?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Relly,

      I think you could make this without the ham. If that's the only ingredient you're taking out I suggest reducing the cream to 1 cup and the shredded cheese to 2 cups. I'd love to knwo how it turns out for you! Thanks, Dawn

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...