Sunday, September 8, 2013

Spicy Low Carb Goulash

In an effort to feed my family one of the staple dishes of my childhood, I came up with this low carb / Paleo friendly version of goulash. This is also a low sodium version since I know my husband has been trying to watch his salt intake. I wasn't sure how the can of no salt added tomatoes would fair but the dish turned out very tasty! 


What you need:

- 1 lb Mild Italian Sausage (I used Mild Poultry Italian which is a mix of chicken, and turkey. Sausage or beef would go well with this recipe too!)
- 1 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 can 14.5 oz  Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added
- 1/2 Cup water
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tspn Garlic Powder
- 1 Tspn Ground Mustard
- 1/8 Tspn Ground Sage
- 1/2 Tspn Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tspn Tabasco Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- 1/2 Tspn Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy

What to do:

Put the meat, onions and all the spices in a large pan and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally..

Meanwhile, cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise. Pull out all the seeds and fibers, I use a large spoon to do this. Once both sides are clean fill one half with water and place it in a microwave safe bowl setting the other half right on top. If the squash seems to want to wobble slice a very thin piece from the bottom of the squash to make it stay in place. Microwave for about 10 minutes. Use oven mitts to pull the dish from the microwave it will be really hot!

Once the meat is browned and the spaghetti squash is done, add the tomatoes, the spaghetti squash and water to the pan. Simmer over medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes to allow the flavors to really blend.


Serve warm and top with Parmesan cheese! :) 

I hope your family enjoys the recipe! It tasted subtly sweet (I'm guessing that's from the tomatoes ;)) but is definitely spicy at the same time! My sister and I both enjoyed the crunch of the spaghetti squash. We think it'd be good with cottage cheese too! :) 

Happy cooking! ♥ Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...